View Single Post
Old 2006-03-17, 21:06   Link #12
dowxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access
It's not just QC checks a dump stores, it's, well I'm sure you know -- timed and translated scripts, raws, pre-release test encodes, encoding specifications, etc. Stuff most groups want to keep under wraps.

Filenames can be deceptive, it isn't necessarily what it's labelled as. Warez, mp3s, other illegal stuff could masquerade as legit if filenames are to be relied upon.

Even if accounts are locked to their home directory, security comes down to how much you trust the admins and the server software. In the past (ie. serv-U) it only took something like a simple "cd ..." to confuse the server and make it do something it shouldn't do. Even though these problems have been fixed, it makes you wonder what other simple security flaws are out there and just haven't been "found". Even a software-perfect server is only as trustworthy as the people who run it.
Well if a group is found to go as far as renaming warez file for distribution, i'll be sure to announce it. I think the fansubbing community is moral and trustworthy enough such that when given an ftp account, they will not use it maliciously to cause harm to other groups. True, there are some fansubber hate now and then, but would they to go so far as to hack another groups ftp? I sure hope not.

The ftp runs proftpd and while vsftp is available, i'm too lazy to "upgrade" it. I'm pretty sure proftpd is secure enough for what its task is.

Thanks K(a)unt and Vincent!

Last edited by dowxp; 2006-03-17 at 21:37.
dowxp is offline   Reply With Quote