View Single Post
Old 2006-01-03, 03:08   Link #176
Moon Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudedge
Ok, so you can have the entire populations genetic make up, but what about the evaluation of how well the gene fits a profession.

Also the fact that each and every single person's gene is different also contradicts with the principle of reproducing your data and results. You cannot pick one person and put him into every single possible profession and test which one he did the best/have the most satisfaction.

A reverse way to map this is to select a handful of elite example of each profession and use their gene as template. And this selection is highly subjective. How do you define/measure how good someone is at their job? (especially the dirty job such as garbage collection?)

To be honest, you simply can't control an experiement this big. Genetics itself exhasut a LOT of computation power, add to the fact that you're dealing with the population of the Earth&Plant and the total number of profession... I'm in Math, and I can't even contemplate how big the number is going to be.

Lacus did not provide a solution to the problem.. but she did prevent a dystopia (Like the Brave New World, again very good book if u're interested in Destiny Plan you should really read it) from happening
Why not? that's exactly what they do when they started off with genetic manipulation. What gene affects what trait. That's why you're able to "customize" your children. Cause they know exactly how to manipulate the genes to make the way the want to be.

It's not something they started from scratch, it's something they would be build upon. The knowledge they already have, they expand upon.

And you can't tell me with the technology they have, they don't have computers that do computation of that scale. Basically all you're telling me is that is possible theoretically, just that it's going to be very very hard.

I have read it, and that's a book about the possibilities that may happen. Not necessarily what will happen in that situation. They're similar but not exactly the same. Personally I like the Harison Burgeron read, it's much shorter, though again slightly different. They all deal with systems and the eventual break down of systems. The difference in all cases are what will either lead to the success or breakdown in the systems.

Maybe you were right that it would have brokendown, but then again maybe not... We'll never know >.>;;
Moon Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote