View Single Post
Old 2006-12-29, 23:34   Link #57
Skane
Anime Snark

After re-watching the episode, I have softened a bit in my stance, but I think I will still vote this episode... a 7, for not fully living up to its' potential. My lowest score yet for Kanon(2006).

Random Thoughts on Kanon(2006) Ep13
  • Most of my complaints about this episode are of a technical nature, so I will leave them aside first and talk about the story.
  • I love how they are expanding the side characters and making them play bigger roles in the series. Jun was pretty much forgettable in the Toei's version, which is pretty sad, since he is supposed to be the 'boyfriend' of Kaori.

The insertion of Jun as a MC in the dance festival now makes more sense( other than comedy relief), as it allows him to 'rescue' Mai from the nefarious machinations of Kuze. It also gives something for the fangirls to cheer for, other than the studded Yuuichi.

There were some concerns raised that Jun's 'interference' would conflict with Sayuri's role in Mai's arc, but I believe it is still possible to weave that part in( in the next episode), since Kuze is not the type to give up so easily.

With this in mind, I now anticipate that Jun will play a much bigger role in the next main arc. I always found it disconcerting that Yuuichi was more useful to Kaori than Jun in the Toei's version of Kanon.
  • Kaori's scene, and the tense piano BGM was beautifully done. It really plays out the conflicted emotions going on in that scene. Kinda weirded out when Mai and Sayuri just popped out from behind and walked past. I don't think that was necessary, as it distracted the viewer from what should have been the main focus of that scene.

Kaori.
  • "Ayu, meet the tallest girl in my harem. Mai, meet the shortest girl in my harem."

Good grief, Ayu looked extremely diminutive next to Mai.
  • I was grinning with glee when Mai dropped hints about her and Ayu's past, but it does worry me a bit that they are making Mai far too all-knowing. Mai is not supposed to be an Oracle or such, and the role of information-giver is meant to be somebody else who has been absent in this episode, and relegated to the sidelines since the conclusion of Makoto's arc.

I'm chuffed that they are expanding Mai's role, and giving her more screentime, but not at the expense of the other characters please. I know all too well how fans feel when their favourites are but a mere spectre in a show.
  • Okay, now for some of my grievances.

Animation consistency. Not quality. Consistency. There were at least 3 different artstyles in this episode alone, and Yuuichi suffered the worst. He was inflicted with what I like to call, Putty-face Syndrome.

Also, if I had to summarise the episode in two words from a technical point of view, it would have to be, "Budget Saving".

There were recycled layers galore, such as the recoloured vehicles. There were so many still frames that it almost seem as though the anime had reverted back to the visual novel style. There were numerous 'Horizon Shots' and 'Far-distance Shots' that pretty much cut down on the number of animation needed to be drawn, but lots of details were lost in the process.

Additionally, as a Mai fanboy, I am upset that they chose to use Mai's arc as the arc to cut costs on. I'm telling you, if the other arcs get animated more beautifully than Mai's arc, I will cry foul. Especially the ending scenes.

Equal budget please!
  • Ayu had chopstick legs when she was hugging Yuuichi in fear... No, really. Go check it out.
  • Are Fire-Extinguishers(F-Ex) made of paper in Japan? When I was in the army, I handled F-Ex a lot, and let me assure you, they are not hurlable unless you have the strength of an Ogre or something.

You can throw a F-Ex, no doubt, but not in such an aerodynamic flight path as shown in this episode. The way they're showing it, they're making it as though Mai is Superwoman or something.

Also, they're EXTREMELY hard, and my eyebrows paid a visit to the moon when I saw Yuuichi effortlessly CRUSH the F-Ex with his WOODEN sword.

Judging from the flight path alone, and using the formula F=Ma, Yuuichi's wrists should have been sprained at least, if not shattered. Not to mention the WOODEN sword, which should have splintered.

HALE, a metal rod would have bent from the force.

Please, can somebody verify this?
Cheers.