View Single Post
Old 2011-08-18, 14:48   Link #23795
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherringford View Post
I haven't been here for a while but my "someone is referring to Raymond Chandler go check to see if it's a positive thing and if so shoot the devilish creature" was tingling.

...I'll try to catch up with the serious discussion.
You'll be glad to know that I am seriously pissed at Ryukishi. I'll tell you about it on AIM.

Quote:
This is just a thought after reading Renall's post, but wouldn't good narrative necessity be such that it is a result of the established characters and situation, so that questions like fate don't even come into question?

My example would be the Battler point you made. The fact that he never dies in the First Twilight could be seen as a result of narrative necessity, but couldn't it equally be seen as a result of the characters' wills? Such as, he's never killed because Yasu/Kyire/Rudolf etc. are the one's doing the killing and they wouldn't kill Battler, least of all first.

Just a thought, didn't have a specific point.
Basically. Narrative Causality is like a meta-supernatural device, in a weird way, though. A better example of Narrative Causality-without-much-justification in Umineko would be the Detective Authority. Erika can do all this bullshit and boss people around because she's the Detective. It's not magic that lets her do that, but the metaphysics of story.