View Single Post
Old 2009-07-20, 03:07   Link #73
Clarste
Human

It's been a while since I read the books, so watching this wasn't so bad. I had no expectations because I pretty much forgot what was supposed to happen until it happened in the movie. That said, it was the usual confusing sequence of scenes that never stops to explain anything other than the absolute key points of the plot. Sometimes I wonder how people who haven't read the books follow these movies at all. For one thing, they never bother to name half the characters. That's all pretty much par for the course with Harry Potter movies though.

The only real issue I have with this movie in particular is how they handled the titular Half Blood Prince. I guess I can understand that it wasn't important to the central mystery of the plot (which was the horcruxes), but the way they did it made it practically incomprehensible. Not nearly enough time was spent speculating on the book, or making it clear how harmful it might be. Heck, they could've used Ginny talking to Harry about her past with evil books (reference to second movie/book, for those who forgot) as a way to bond them romantically, which was clearly half the point of the movie. Anyway, they didn't even make it clear how Snape knew that Harry knew about the Half Blood Prince. When they made the "shocking" revelation, I was thinking "Huh? How did Snape know about that?" instead of "Oh my god! It was Snape!" which I assume they were shooting for.

Anyway, that brings me to another point. Hermione sucks. This isn't really an issue with the movie per se so much as a general theme in the series. Hermione's supposed to be the genius witch of their generation. Okay, sounds great, except... Snape was inventing spells and correcting recipes when he was her age! And Lily was the genius of his generation. Snape is awesome! But they never seem to treat him as exceptional, not even in the "what a nerd" sense. From which I can only conclude that Hermione is pretty much average and everyone else in their generation is a dropout.

Last edited by Clarste; 2009-07-20 at 05:50.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote