View Single Post
Old 2010-08-18, 11:25   Link #54
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
For most series, the official subs are either better or the same quality. There are a few random exceptions out there. I haven't see the Nanoha subs but I really doubt there is anything wrong with them given that most of the complaints were about the dub.

Also, if you hadn't noticed, sub only DVDs are almost exactly the same or only $10 MSRP or so cheaper. Suddenly making a show sub only does not make it that much cheaper to produce. The loss of the dub buyers barely offsets the cost of the dub. It is equally pointless to put out two sets of discs.
Then they've lost me as a customer.

Instead, they can't complain when they broadcast something over the air, someone records it, and someone else touches it up with subtitles. They've already put it out for free, so they can't complain when someone watches it for free.

As I've said, the black market supplies what people want, when the official suppliers won't. That means there is a demand, and people WILL get what they want, regardless of what you or I or someone else thinks.

Lastly, the anime movement started with fansubs, and even if the DVD market dries off, they will continue with fansubs. I simply don't care about most dubs. In fact, the number of dubs where I liked the dub more than the sub, I can count on one hand, and probably have at least two fingers left over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I would hope that most people who comment about fansubs > company subs are talking about style and font rather than translation/transliteration.
Both. The Nanoha subtitles were just plain ugly and hard to read sometimes. Also, Japanese to English translation is more an art form than a hard science, so you can get several ways to say something, and each translator can do something different and still be "correct." Whether literal correct, or perhaps taking a bit more artistic interpretation to get the ideas across if not in the exact way.

For instance, In Nanoha, there was a character who was about to be blasted and she was totally panicking and swearing. One translation had "No way! Impossible! Ridiculous!" while someone else used "Sweet mother of God!"

When fansubbers do it, they do it out of love, so they put more effort into the translation. While a company is doing it for the money, and just wants to shovel something out that someone will buy; only the bottom line matters. Sure, sometimes you can get a decent product, but I find it to be hit-and-miss, and mostly miss.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote