View Single Post
Old 2012-12-14, 14:41   Link #101
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Actually, no that's not really a safe social situation.
Sure it is. This anime has delved into ways to make Rikka's club of practical value to the rest of the school while maintaining it as a safe outlet for chuunibyou acting out.

First there was the clean the pool idea. If the club members had managed to do that successfully, it would have put the club in a more positive light for the school.

Then there is how Shinka used the club to help in a school festival. Remember the whole idea to have Yuuta and Rikka face each other in their chuunibyou personas as part of an entertaining act for other students?

There are practical ways that you can have Rikka's club be useful to the rest of the school, while still maintaining it as a safe social situation for Rikka and friends to embrace their inner chuunibyou.

Quote:
That does NOT solve the problem at all. In such condition, Rikka would actually act the opposite as she should be: instead of accepting reality, she puts a "reality" facade simply for society convenience, and remains on her longing feelings for her father.

Rikka's eccentricity is beyond just having fun: it basically overwrote her personality and how she deal with everyone, not just people who are close to chuunibyou whatsoever.
Which means: Rikka has to switch out from her chuunibyou, but also has to define the antics in a complete different fashion.
She needed to learn to turn them off yes. But she didn't need to go absolute "cold turkey" with them. Which seems to be what happened. And we now see the sorry state it's left her in.

Quote:
That does NOT solve the problem at all. In such condition, Rikka would actually act the opposite as she should be: instead of accepting reality, she puts a "reality" facade simply for society convenience, and remains on her longing feelings for her father.
I disagree. It would provide a chuunibyou basis for Rikka re-learning normalcy. It would be Yuuta using the same sort of method that he used to successfully help Rikka pass her Math test.

With my idea, chuunibyou ("avoiding the Administration's detection") similarly becomes the motivation to learn to be normal.

At a future point, once normalcy has netted Rikka some concrete benefits (such as new friends, better marks in school, etc...), you could switch to "See? There's more ways to be happy than just through chuunibyou. I think it's time, Rikka, that you truly accepted reality. I think your father would want that. I also think if he was here right now, he'd be proud of how far you've already come."

I think that would be a better and more gradual approach than the crude, cold turkey one that Touka basically talked Yuuta into using.

In any event, Rikka needs to give up on reaching her father in "The Unseen Horizon", yes. But that doesn't mean that the whole of her chuunibyou persona has to go with it.

Quote:
Except that even when people keep reminding Rikka to stop her antics in public (not outright saying to stop being chuuni altogether), she -keeps- acting like that. That really shows how far that behaviour got anchored in her.
It's because she doesn't know any other way to be. Rikka needs to re-learn normalcy, yes. But she can do that without discarding her chuunibyou completely.

And I already said that Rikka needs to learn that some social situations are inappropriate ones for acting out in a chuuni way. So I'm not sure why you're even raising a work situation. We agree on that.

Quote:
Actually no, it seems it is her chuunibyou that leads to difficulties in math: Rikka has trouble to grasp math concept, which is initially disctracted by her imagination.
Come on. Plenty of people have their minds wander off to more entertaining thoughts when they try to study subjects they don't like. That's just normal. Rikka just doesn't like math, so when she tries to focus on it, her mind naturally wanders off to something that entertains her more.

Rikka would likely have struggled at Math with our without her chuunibyou. Math is one of the most talent/interest-based subjects there is. I can't think of any subject more polarizing than Math - Some students genuinely love it, and others can't stand it. Rikka is likely in the second group.

If chuunibyou had such a disastrous impact on Rikka's school work, it should affect all subjects equally, not just Math disproportionately. I think it's much more logical to think that Rikka simply has a weakness at Math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I posted this in the image thread already, but I think this perfectly sums up the situation:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
There's nothing unhealthy about a moderate amount of escapism. And I'm frankly amazed that this is something I have to write to a fellow anime fan of all people...

Quote:
It's a fallacy to assume Rikka will be fine just because another person with different circumstances can handle it.
Rikka has a great support structure in place. There's little reason to think she can't handle it with the support of other people who can handle it. I'm not committing a "fallacy" at all.

Quote:
For example, you can't assume one person won't become drunk and act irrationally after drinking a certain amount of alcohol just because someone with a stronger constitution can handle it.
I don't see much reason to think that Dekomori has a "stronger constitution" than Rikka does. Who was the person brought to tears in this episode? And who was the person who sung her father's favorite song right after getting told off by her brand new boyfriend just last episode?

Rikka is not a weak person. She's stronger than some people are giving her credit for, I think