Thread: Licensed Negima Manga Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-06, 17:21   Link #8613
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargor View Post
Or he calls it quits all together and retires from the business.
I suppose it depends on if he has made enough money to retire by then or not. His saying he'd prefer being an editor makes me think he wouldn't even be doing the next series if he could help it. But becoming an editor demands a lot of money to use, invest and risk. More so in Japan, where the huge editorials rule the market with an iron grip. By himself, there isn't that much he can offer authors that editorials can't- Sure, they basically enslave mangaka, but they also get them lucrative contracts on anime adaptations, videogames and merchandise. That's something Akamatsu can't do on his own- even with Kodansha's financial backup, the man can't get a decent and long enough animated adaptation of his own works done.

In short, I see him retiring to pursue his own thing if the next series is another juggernaut, but if it fails, I can see him trying to gain his old fans back in hopes of hitting the jackpot again. He's been quoted in Tumblr as being somewhat disappointed with online publishing (read, J Comi, which is a dumpster for Z-grade manga). He needs another hit the old fashioned style, one way or another.