View Single Post
Old 2012-11-08, 17:44   Link #65
james0246

Wreck-It Ralph is a little too soul crushing and cynical for me. I am unclear why Ralph has to be such a tragic character, especially since this is supposedly a kids film. I mean the f-cking rat in Ratatouille was allowed to remake its life and the lives of those around it, but poor old Ralph literally saves everyone in multiple game universes and all he gets in return is a modicum of respect (which he should have had all along) for the role he is still forced to be in (Ralph's life does change, and for the better, but it is an unequal change compared to others; Ralph is forced to accept his life whereas others are allowed to expand their horizons). And what's worse Vanellope and Felix literally get everything, hell Vanellope even become a Disney Princess, and all because of Ralph. Ralph strives for a better lot in life, but is forced to stay in a position and role he hates all the while Felix and Vanellope (especially Vanellope) get everything their hearts desire.

Remember kids, simply accept your lot in life; at best you can only hope that people with better lots in life will acknowledge that you are at least human, otherwise just give up...unless you are Princess in disguise, in which case you will become amazing no matter what.

edit: I will say that I appreciate the fact that the director and writers were trying to create a pseudo-It's a Wonderful Life vibe in the film. That every man, no matter how small, is great (as so long as they have friends). Sadly, they didn't realize that It's a Wonderful Life is a fairly scary drama and that while George Bailey's life is something to be proud of its not really a children's story.

That being said, the technical aspects of the film were superb. Wonderful art design and colour palette, beautiful animation (slightly varied between gaming dominions), at least 2 solid acts, and very good voice acting lift this movie from its slightly overplotted and ultimately cynical storyline. But, I can't really recommend the title since, despite some fun quirks and decent acting the conclusion is a little too heartbreaking for a kids movie. 70/100.

Last edited by james0246; 2012-11-09 at 01:14.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote