View Single Post
Old 2008-11-15, 20:51   Link #803
Byakou

I was reading some stuff about japanese culture and how things work and I'm wondering if the following is true? :

-When talking to someone, there's always someone "superior" and someone "inferior".

-Bow: The inferior one needs to bow at 30 degrees and longer, the superior one can bow more quickly at 15 degrees, or just nod. The superior gets the cool endname suffix, and the inferior gets an ordinary one or -chan at the end as an insult(you're a child).

-Japanese never say what they're really thinking because they want to avoid conflict, and remain polite at all times. If asked "Would you like tea or coffee?" they answer "Either is fine" because otherwise it is impolite, and can only say which they really want if then asked "Which one do you prefer?" "Tea"

-They look for hidden meanings in everything that's done and said, cause they never say their true thoughts.

-Men are expected to be aggressive and rough, women are expected to be submissive and gentle.

-When they're polite, they don't actually mean it, it's just an automatic reaction.

-Sometimes they refuse gifts because they think there are strings attached.

-<insert million of things ppl are supposed to do otherwise they're considered rude>

From what I've read, life in japan is some sort of un-fun constant paranoia. So, is it true?
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote