Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-01, 18:42   Link #356
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've heard that before. And "eventually" could mean by the time Windows 9 or 10 appears. I also don't think an article on ZDNet that consists of interviewing a panel of corporate testers rounded up by Microsoft tells us much about businesses as a whole.

As for those features.... Support for multiple monitors is not going to be a big selling point when most of the office staff are looking at a single 15" display. Fast bootup just means not having an excuse to get a cup of coffee at the beginning of the work day.

I've used pretty much every major release of desktop Windows since 1.0. I've seen each major revision of Windows be touted as better, faster, you name it. If Win8 is a big improvement over the earlier versions, well, great. But I'll reiterate my earlier point that people use applications, not operating systems. For a secretary typing into a word processor, the operating system is an irrelevancy.

As an outside observer with no axe to grind here, it just looks to me that the reason for Windows 8 is Microsoft's being made irrelevant in the mobile space. I doubt there are major technical flaws in Win7 that needed fixing for the vast majority of users. There was also Microsoft's need to help its new-found partner Nokia try to get out of the hole it dug itself into. Both these companies needed a new mobile platform if they were to stand any chance of competing against iOS and Android in the mobile market in the years ahead.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote