View Single Post
Old 2008-06-12, 14:41   Link #91
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
And if this wasn't a Kawamori series I'll be saying it's 90-10 in Ranka's favor because Sheryl's archetype loses 90% of the time in anime and Ranka is the safe, boring, conventional winner.
Exactly, the strongest point a Sheryl ending can muster is that this is Kawamori's show. I don't blame you at all. There was nothing in the story that indicates a Sheryl ending is stronger than a Ranka ending. There was nothing to counter

Quote:
I'm not the one who's being stubborn and shouting INCONSISTENT INCONSISTENT if my pairing doesn't get it's way even though we still have 15 episodes to go through.
Yes, I do, and I will say "inconsistent" as often when I see that it is. You are open to a Ranka ending, because you can see it. I'm not open to a Sheryl ending because I can't see it. Didn't I say I will acknowledge a Sheryl ending once I see it? I clearly don't. x__x; Even in those 15 episodes, I doubt all of them will be pure Sheryl-centric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiro View Post
did you ever watch sdf macross? because that list you came up with is almost exactly like how hikaru and minmei were.
Hikaru falling out of love from Minmei happened slowly, little by little, with sufficient reasons resulting from bastardizing Minmei's character. When Hikaru lost one of his allies, Minmei asked him to come visit him because she was sick--in a very prima donna manner. Hikaru hung up on her, and still she didn't get the message. She called him 'weird' :| (Is she retarded? =_=) Even I was surprised with the amount of bastardizing Minmei got. If that's not character bastardizing, then what is this development supposed to be? Hearing people argue that Ranka and Alto are going to end up like this because Kawamori did it in the past is a very weak argument. We're dealing with two different individuals here with a different kind of relationship. Even if there's similarities, count on it, it's not going to end the same way.

Quote:
She watched an episode or two and than read the Wiki, instant expert. She was arguing with me on Omni's blog that Misa's banter with Hikaru in the first episode meant more than Minmei did in the initial episodes.
Tryng to discredit me? For everyone's sake I did check out the episodes myself afterwards only to find out my point was right---as I expected. Minmei's character was bastardized. It took a lot of factor to ruin Minmei and Hikaru's relationship and the strongest out of all of them was Minmei's self-centeredness. How long did it take him to choose Misa over Minmei even despite those blatant shortcomings? Right at the last episode. The story clearly did not ignore the fact that Hikaru first loved Minmei. That's what you call consistency. The gradual shift from Minmei to Hayase was fair and realistic. It didn't come from the left field, we saw it coming, it happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem
Well Misa and Hikaru weren't the best of friends in their first encounter. Onna can mean either girl or woman. I can't see how anyone can see Ranka as anything but a girl really, and one that appears younger than she is.
Hmm...I thought musume or shoujo pertains to 'girl' in Japanese? Either way, Misa spent a whole lot of effort to win Hikaru throughout the series just because of that same fact you just pointed out. With Ranka falling in love with Alto, and the fact that the central plot works around her, what are Sheryl's chances of turning the table here unless Ranka gets out of the picture--either through dying or bastardizing.

Quote:
Actually it was Sheryl that spurred both of them into reaching for their dreams in episode three. Sheryl was the one who told her that the Miss Macross pageant was her chance.
It's all right to give Sheryl credit as well since she did have some input in it. However, ignoring the most notable elements in the issue is a little bit too far. Right at the hill, Alto and Ranka came to a stop to reflect. The two ended up easing each other's self-doubt to take the next step. It wasn't about Sheryl at all. It was about them and their respective paths.

Quote:
As for the platonic bond between the two fraying, it isn't like they stopped talking with each other when Sheryl came to the fore so I'm not sure what that has to do with this.
The point is, Alto's 'preferred buddy' didn't change just because Sheryl hangs out with him more.

Quote:
Ranka and Alto are just friends at this point, just like Alto and Sheryl. And it didn't seem like Alto was "sneaking" away to speak with Ranka. It was more like the shooting had stopped so that they could make preparations such as hooking Sheryl up to the wires.
When I said 'sneak out' I meant, Alto was willing to make time to listen to Ranka even at the cost of making the crew wait and disrupting the production. Sheryl practically had to scream at him to get him back lol That's saying something considering how non-compliant he is to everyone.

Quote:
Well, we were watching from Ranka's point of view because it was a Ranka centric episode since Bird Human is shot from Mao's point of view...
I think one of the many reasons why I think Ranka has more focus in the show is that, we rarely see Sheryl talk about Ranka in first person POV. When you see a character talk in first person, she takes up all of the focus and makes the people around her look irrelevant. This is basically what Ranka has been doing to Sheryl 90% of the time and it was in full force here in episode 10. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only who can see this.

Quote:
I don't really see a change in his personality when he's with Ranka. The reason that he treats her the way he does is because she doesn't push any of his buttons and she comes to him for advice.
Alto's either hot or cold. 80% of the time, he's out there pissed off, bored, or wallowing in self-pity lol It's only when he's alone with Ranka that he gets to routinely exercise his warm personality. Besides, paper airplane poke assault? Head patting? Piggyback? Warm smiles? Gentle intonation? It's a change in behavior as far as I can see.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and mention his participation in the movie after Mikhail and Ranka's manager talked to him. He didn't cross-dress, but he watched out for an opening role just so he can participate. I thought that was really sweet of him to do that. All for Ranka-chan lol

Quote:
When she isn't asking for advice and encouragement in becoming a singer he is just as brusque and seemingly uninterested with her as with his other friends, i.e. when Michel first announces that they will show her around.
I said wait till they're alone.