View Single Post
Old 2008-02-17, 16:30   Link #17
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Arguably bad choice there I didn't find much use for Urto, but Kamyu had earned a definite place as one of my "regulars". Unlike Urto her attack isn't that much of a pain to level and since her max tech is 2, you can start pulling her finisher quite early. And it does pretty good damage. Her spells are pretty good as well: she has decent AOE selection, and her final spell (darkness) is a rather handy thing, being the kamehameha it is, covering 3 square wide, 8 square long area in front of her.
I find the not being allowed to move before casting rule a huge constraint, it has actually messed up quite a few strategies in the missions where you had to use them. You finally have them positioned propperly for max damage, and either you whipe away the enemy while the girls 'recharge' or the enemy moves away.

It's a matter of tactics, really. My characters move all the time, unless they're pinned. If they're pinned, its in melee and only for one turn max (well, maybe more in case of a boss) having casters that need time to charge their attacks simply doesn't go well with my tactics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Onion View Post
They'll keep surprising you until you get used to the fact that whenever someting seems to be out of place, Hakuoro is going to get some
scary thing is, I've already gotten used to it. Kamyu's scene didn't even phase me, apart from me slapping my forehead and skipping the entire scene.

Quote:
That's just for her combo attacks.
I know, but her combo damage was quite pathetic before you got it.

Quote:
Exactly

Who cares even if Touka was a bad fighter. She's one of the best characters in the game.
One of the biggest surprises when comparing the game and the anime was the difference in the bridge fight. Where the anime was dead serious, the game is pure comedy. I couldn't stop laughing at Touka's antics that had Oboro and Kurou going '... is this what ave us so much trouble?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx190 View Post
From what I can tell, you get more BP for killing enemies multiple levels above the character, 20 for 2 level difference, 30 for 3 level difference, etc. I'm not exactly sure how the finishing hits modify it; I didn't raise anyone's tech for a long time so I was only finishing enemies with more than one hit when the special gauge was filled, by my calculations it seemed to double the base BP then. Once it gets into regular combos then it just became too hard to calculate.
I see, thanks.

Quote:
If I had known just how the BP system worked, I would have raised tech on my characters earlier to earn more BP in the long run (in particular, if I realized the twins only needed 1 upgrade to max, I would have done it ASAP); the problem is that damage-wise, tech is a waste of BP for anything less than max (lvl 2 is worthwhile once attack is high enough, but all hits after the second are far too weak), and maxing it takes a ridiculous amount for Hakuoro and Oboro... it's just too important to buff Hakuoro's defense for keeping him alive to be able to save up 1500 BP for maxing his tech (and you'd still need attack raised in order to accomplish anything with his increased tech)
I always keep Hakuoro in the rear support anyway. Oboro is good once you get him maxed, his speed allows him to hit and run rear supporting archers and casters, and with max-tech he can one-shot most mobs where I'm at (Yue's castle)

Quote:
Also I started right out with Hard 3; do all difficulties get 150 base BP per batle before kills are added, or do you get more on easier difficulties (which would certainly make it easier to raise tech early on)?
Normal also has base 150.

Quote:
I wish the PC version allowed you to use more characters like the PS2 version, I have a hard time picking which characters to use. As soon as I started getting a choice, I quit using Guraa since he's totally inferior to Dorii, but other than that I ended up always rotating characters. Now late in the game I don't bother with Urtorii or Kamyu at all, they're just too hard to use effectively with not being allowed to move before magic, their damage is too weak with their expensive attack stat (obviously to balance out them having AoE, but on higher difficulties it's too important to wipe out a few enemies fast to even the odds rather than damaging lots of them), and using them gives me an extra weak character to protect while costing me an additional melee character to protect them.
While I love the characters, I haven't used the twins since my melee team got boosted to oblivion. I'm now pure melee, barring the small range Benawi and Kurou give, and I'm doing fine.

Quote:
Touka is crazy good, especially because she starts with so much defense and magic defense; she just runs around annihilating enemies while being virtually ignored, unlike Karura who dies so fast (and gets slow turns). Karura is supposed to be totally overpowered, but when her defense is so low I don't see how she can actually "solo the entire map". I've been using Oboro more than Karura late in the game actually, I'd rather have his far superior turn speed than enemies getting in two turns to Karura's one. Of course the huge advantage Karura and Touka have is the damage boost they get from being near Hakuoro, which lets them easily beat any of your male characters in damage.
I actually cleared the level before Yue's castle with Touka alone. Took a lot of time, but I want her skills as high as possible as fast as possible.

And Touka and Karura get a damage boost? I didn't know that.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote