View Single Post
Old 2013-02-03, 21:09   Link #457
judasmartel
*Author

I don't like overpowered characters who win their fights too easily (i.e. in anticlimatic fashion), whether by themselves, with help from friends (and rivals), or by Ass Pull or Deus Ex Machina. This is the reason I can't bring myself to watch SAO, no matter how popular it is.

Kirito doesn't ever lose a fight, and when he does, it's against a minor character (namely, his sister) we will never see again. His fans don't care about all that because it makes sense in-universe.

Kayaba? He disabled his invincibility flag so Kirito could fight him fair and square (this is otherwise impossible if he didn't, so this should get a pass, right?). Sugou? Same deal, Kayaba disabled his invincibility flag. The tree? Okay, he lost the first time alright, but that still didn't convince me.

There are more other fights where he had help from the system to defeat overpowered foes that I pull out my hair and think "WTH is so special about him that he gets a lot of help from the system? He's actually pretty weak without it despite 2 years of experience."

It probably didn't help that some Kirito fans like to bash Haru from Accel World because Haru is fat, wimpy, and weak and Kirito is thin, cool, and strong. But again, 99% of anime is all about thin and lanky guys.

So what now ? It's okay to be wimpy if you're Shinji Ikari or Shu Ouma, but not if you're Haruyuki Arita?

If you're going to give me an awesome MC, at least give me one who wins his fights HARD through good tactics and sheer effort and force of will, and yet loses his own share of fights to more powerful or more experienced foes. That's why I loved Kosuke Ueki, Naruto Uzumaki, Monkey D. Luffy, and Touma Kamijou. All of these are thin and lanky, yes, but at least they're cool and badass yet victories aren't handed to them on a silver platter.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote