View Single Post
Old 2008-06-17, 16:11   Link #272
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

By "sadness" it seems like there's a few definitions of this. IMO something like Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien I found to be filled with tons of melodrama to the point where I was holding my breath while watching each episode. But, after watching the series, I didn't really think the series was all that "impactful". Although the series was depressing and evoked some tears, it seemed like the series put in loads and loads of drama as a device to keep the viewer "entertained" sort of like a shonen anime has loads and loads of fight sequences just to keep the viewer "entertained"(This is just my opinion, don't take it personally, feel free to discuss though).

You also have Air and Clannad which in each series, made me cry more than Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien. But in the case of Clannad, at least for the first season, even though I cried more, all the sad scenes were so Beautiful. after watching and reflecting, I thought I wasn't crying because I was depressed or "sad", I felt I was crying because I was so moved by the power of the scenes and the connection I felt to the characters. I thought the scenes were so beautiful, I got a bit overwhelmed. For Air, it's similar to Clannad, in that all the sad scenes were portrayed as something "beautiful" (sorry for lack of a better word, I'm short on time here), however they were different from Clannad(season 1, again) because I thought at the base level, the scenes were much more sad, the scenes themselves were sad, even though how they were portrayed was done in a "Artistic" way. However, I thought in Air the sadness had more depth, not to take away anything from a romance like in Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, it seems like the relationship between Misuzu and her "Okaasan" was more developed and hit at me much stronger. There was a more lasting impact, that's what I think at this time.
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote