View Single Post
Old 2004-12-29, 14:07   Link #53
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7799
The U.S. government is screwed up, we can waste 100 million dollars on every Black Hawk Jet that crashes in iraq, we can spend almost 1 billion dollars a month over their yet when people in third world countries need help we send them pennies, right now coffins seem to be their best bet of aid from the U.S., the government or should I say bush is stingy, I mean over 100,000 people are now speculated to have been killed and the U.S. government is talking about spending only 35 million, the stingy bastards, like you said all we can do is pray for them and their families and disease can be quick to spread right now so the after effect could leads to thousands more dieing, I'am ashamed to be a american right now, or better yet to serve under an idiot president like ours that cares more about war than human life, whats sad is that in a few days someone will probably post on animesuki regarding the death of a loved one, so many people have died that its just a shocker.
The US is the biggest contributor in terms of aid to third world countries. They contributed 16 billion to the UN's OECD (Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development) last year. They are also consistently one of the top funders of other projects such as the aids epidemic in africa, food aid, etc... The US ain't stingy. 35 million is most likely going to rise, but even so its not like the US is made of gold. Each country can only provide as much as economically possible and whether you like the Iraq war or not, we also need to continue to provide funds to make sure our soldiers over there don't die. You also need to keep in mind that the US isn't the only one providing monetary aid to those countries affected. Not only are other countries giving economic aid, but people from countries around the world are also making donations to organizations that are providing aid as well.

As for the aftertoll of this event, I am really hoping that they can contain and control diseases like maleria effectively to reduce any possible future deaths. I feel absolutly horrible about this whole event. My best friend is over in Cambodia and I'm crossing my fingers that she didn't lose any family and that she won't be effected by this.

I too am gonna donate some money later today.
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote