View Single Post
Old 2012-09-09, 21:37   Link #7
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
AACS decryption keys can be revoked/blacklisted (the revocation list is included with new blu-ray discs) and since the media industry is worse than Hitler they keep revoking keys left and right at their whim, so yes, playback software does "expire" (or at least it eventually becomes incapable of playing new discs). Many blu-ray drives (the ones in "retail" packaging, not "bulk" or OEM) do come with PowerDVD or something equally terrible software which, while being a horrible media player, usually has a decent chance of being kept updated with new keys (you may or may not have to pay for updates).

I suggest one of these two options:
1) buy the blurays, put them in your bookshelf and don't watch them; watch downloaded files instead, or
2) buy AnyDVD HD (which transparently circumvents the protection) and watch in MPC or whatever your favorite player is. AnyDVD HD is sort of expensive though.

As for the bluray reader itself, buy the cheapest one you can find. There is really no meaningful difference unless you want to burn bluray discs (and you don't, it's cheaper to buy external HDD's these days). Historical anecdote: back in the day it used to be cool to buy certain LG drives because there used to be a highly interesting firmware patch for those floating around which assisted in circumventing AACS. These days AnyDVD HD just does everything for you automagically though.

Is AnyDVD HD legal software? I just ask since it circumvents AACS. What does AACS stand for?

So if I buy some other software, I'll need to update AACS keys, and depending on the software I buy, I'll have to pay for that periodically? Do I understand this correctly?