View Single Post
Old 2012-05-08, 15:41   Link #35
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I generally like shonen action so long as it's fairly creative and isn't doing the same tired things all the time in the exact same way. And it doesn't take much for me to consider something creative enough to not feel cliché. Accel World is something that's currently airing that's pretty shoneny but it's interesting and doesn't feel like it's something I've already seen before even though it's still fairly predictable. Another shonen action currently airing is HunterxHunter which feels more like a shonen puzzle than a shonen action show, so it's pretty atypical which something you can applaud (The story has it's own problems but not they're not typical problems). Another shonen that's currently airing is Zetman which is of the far more cynical and grimdark variety of action shonen. I rarely have problems with these in terms of "clicheness" because the cliche of shonen action come from their idealistic tendancies and overreliance of Rule of Cool and power levels. (e.g the power of determination or defeat means friendship), which darker shows avoid because their appeal is in their edgier storylines. However not all darker shonen action shows avoid these problems (e.g Deadman Wonderland)

But from a personal point of view, I generally consider shonen action shows to be a step below where my absolute favourite tastes lie. An 8/10 is about the best it can possibly achieve, even if it's the perfect shonen (The only exception so far has been Fullmetal Alchemist which I gave a perfect 10. XP [EDIT] Unless Casshern Sins counts. I gave that a 9. Both of those are of the darker variety).

Last edited by Haak; 2012-05-08 at 16:44.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote