View Single Post
Old 2012-07-14, 07:01   Link #1162
novalysis

Then I shudder to think what happens if Kirito lost Asuna.

On the other hand, one could argue that Kirito by all accounts has a good chance of being a highly successful person in the real world. He is a skilled and talented individual in reality, and is likely going to be at the forefront of the virtual revolution.

You know, at the end of the day, I suspect the answer behind Heartcliff's madness is precisely the same reason why Kirito feels that strange disconnect with reality you suggest. Unlike Heartcliff, Kirito has Asuna to anchor him to existence.

Of course, the thing is, in the Real World, he faces very different battles - in a sense, Aincrad was a simpler time for Kirito. The thing is, I think a certain mature tendency of his acknowledges his own self-worth in the real world, that convinces him that he can go where Kayaba threaded, without falling into the moral pitfalls.

What then, would you make that long talk that Kirito had with Asuna and Sinon on his future plans in the real world, of his desire to pursue research and be there at the elapsing technological revolution?

Ironically, Kirito just might win the prize Oberon sought, but far more morally.

I think you are underestimating Kirito a little. Yes, the Underworld is an escape. It however is an escape that Kazuto would likely consciously reject. Ultimately, Kazuto is a "Powerless Gamer" for now, but not necessarily for long. He's not someone without prospects in the real-life, though certainly, his motivations are slightly different - one could argue that his motivations are those around him, and a certain sense of moral compass probably explains why he rejected the Underworld.

Even if "There is only One Ultimate way" suggests a hilarious compromise solution.

Indeed, I wonder whether Kayaba too wanted to "disappear somewhere far, far away" when he created Aincrad, and trapped 10000 people to keep him company.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote