View Single Post
Old 2008-01-21, 21:45   Link #65
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
She's not that ebil. ;_;
Actually, originally, if she thought that was what it would take for her to be reunited with Johan willingly forever, she'd probably do it without a second's hesitation. The only reason she didn't was because she didn't think she needed to, and because she didn't think she needed to guard herself against Johan's container (the Reiji Maigo and what's in it, not the kid).

She had the will and the willingness to make the appropriate sacrifices to see her goals through - she just didn't have the presence of mind to recognize the dangers of it even after she had been warned by multiple clues - hence her blindness.

That's why I find her the most tragic of all the characters really - she's the only one with any decent willpower and the recognition that sacrifices are needed to achieve a greater goal, but her fatal flaws make it so she can't fulfill her potential. Whereas all the other characters lack that willpower (except maybe Wilhelmina, but she's a bit too wishy-washy too).

That's also part of the reason why I liked the original Shana (before she got converted by Yuuji), Corpse Retriever, and the members of the Bell - they actually have what it takes to get things done.

Of course I'm making a value judgment on which sort of goals are worth attaining here - for example, you could possibly argue that Yoshida also has some goal of some sort and that she has a lot of willpower in achieving it - but she's rather small in the grand scheme of things so I don't think she matters or is relevant in anything except as a physical manifestation of Sakai's weakness.