Thread: Beelzebub
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-01, 05:58   Link #3716
Keeper

Furuichi x Lamia would be creepy. She's a demon, so who knows what her real age is, but she looks like middle schooler. Cops would arrest Furuichi on sight if they were together as a couple. Nene works much better and she looks better too. I really like Nene's hairstyle. Lamia can find more fitting boyfriend in En, since even Beel himself already has two concubines now.

And yes, I too am kinda saddened how Furuichi and Nene lost.

Who do you speculate ends up in the finals? Oga and Hilda are likely be there, but who's the other pair? I suspect it's either Tojo and Shizuka or Izuma and Kunieda. I think Izuma and Kunieda is more likely. I also wonder what will the finals be? Do they have an event to show who's a real couple and who's entered the competition for different reasons? The prize is supposed to go to a real couple after all.

In the past week or so I re-read all Beelzebub chapters and I was pleasantly surprised how characters have developed over time. There is one thing that bothered me though.

Oga, Kanzaki and Himekawa really changed way too fast. In Oga's defense, he was caught in a situation where he himself was attacked while he was sleeping. In his retribution he made attackers grovel and was generally sadistic. Alaindelon could have easily mistook this as Oga's usual behavior, but the manga really let the reader be under an impression that he was correct. Even Furuichi backed that up.

Yet Oga never really lived up to that reputation. Of course he retaliated if someone was stupid enough to challenge him. He only ever went further than simple beating if someone really pissed him off. Worse, as soon as Oga beat Kanzaki and Himekawa, they too mellowed immediately. Both of them were originally characters who didn't even care for their own subordinates, but later go to great lengths for them and even Oga. Only there was no character progression, they changed just like that. It'd been better if there had been noticeable progression from being an evil sadistic delinquent to reasonable delinquent. The change as it was, was quite jarring. In comparison, Hilda's character progression has been really great so far.
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote