View Single Post
Old 2008-01-23, 21:30   Link #57
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
That doesn't mean that an ocean of LCL is the perfect way, either. More like the networking hive-mind sketched sometimes in Ghost in the Shell. Neither does that mean that I'm going to go out of the way to force people to become that
In that case, if the hive mind is what you're after, I strongly urge you to watch the first episode of Kino no Tabi. That shows some of the drawbacks of a shared conscious. I can only hope that your wife doesn't end up dying in the testing of biomechanical superweapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornsatin View Post
Haha... how cruel. You're proposing we're living our lives acting upon a script we have no control over.
By your logic, are crimes really 'crimes' in the ethical sense anymore? Or does 'love' or 'hate' or any other emotion even matter..? You make humans pathetic and non-sentient. So by your thought pattern, lets flush the religions and morals down the drain since technically, it'd be another act under the inevitably dominant script. Or any of our acts for that matter, even this worthless post.
Well, I never said it's what I believe in, it's simply a philosophy. If you are completely an atheist and believe that there are no other forces in the universe other than the natural laws that we have empirically derived, then yes, this is the world that you are subscribing to. Most people don't know this, I didn't either before I took a philosophy class.

Crimes really are the product of circumstance, if you wish to use that example. Criminality is correlated very highly with poor socioeconomic status, single mother families, child abuse, and instability. While correlation doesn't imply causation, there are things that cause people to be more likely to commit crime. Emotion and sentience are also the result of circumstances. You would hate someone who murdered your family, and love someone who shows you kindness and support, not the other way around. The things that you say are all influenced by your upbringing, they definitely influence what you do, but you don't get to choose what your upbringing is. For example, there was this family on youtube who taught their kids to be proud Nazis, their morals are going to be different from yours, because their environment is different from yours.

(Please refrain from neg-repping, I am explaining a philosophy, not saying what I believe. I can't even count how many neg-reps I get for explaining an unpopular idea that somehow becomes my own.)

Last edited by tripperazn; 2008-01-23 at 21:45.
tripperazn is offline   Reply With Quote