View Single Post
Old 2009-03-08, 03:57   Link #182
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janifuu View Post
I think the lack of development between Ryuuji and Ami is more than simply bad luck or coming into the game too late. If it were mean't to be between those two, it wouldn't matter at what given point they meet one another, it would have worked sooner or later. The fact that Ryuuji not once has shown any romantic interest in her plays key in part of showing that any romantic interest that *might* have been portrayed between them always has been and always will be one sided. I will say though that I'm impressed with her development from when she first came into the picture in comparison to her current state, shes come a long way. I still feel though that any point in her progression that she was simply never really suitable for Ryuuji.

Minori, well, perhaps there was more of a chance of something developing between her and Ryuuji, especially in comparison to whatever alleged chances there were with Ami. I think Ryuuji is beginning to see though that much like what Taiga felt towards Kitamura at one point, his feelings towards Minori were never more than a crush. It's pretty obvious given his characteristics and behavior around Minori in the earlier episodes and observing the transitions in his feelings in the recent episodes between him and Taiga. I see a much greater difference when comparing his feelings between the two girls, one being an old crush, and the other being a developing love. Perhaps I'm sounding biased (which I'm really trying not to be... just observant,) but I see it very clearly how much greater of a role Taiga plays in his life and well being than anyone else mentionable from the series, especially given whats been demonstrated in episode 22. To each their own though I suppose
These are good points and I agree... The thing that I think the author is expressing through these characters is that sometimes what you think is love for someone is simply that they have something to teach you about yourself. Once they have sparked that learning in you, the relationship is done. You can stay friends, but there will no longer be any specific deeper connection. Additionally, sometimes the other party is aware of their importance in your growth, and sometimes they are indifferent or unaware...

For Ami, Ryuji helped her see that her mask was her hinderance, and now she sees other's masks as a hinderance too. Ami has largely gotten from Ryuji what she needed, and it wasn't his affection. She will get over it and move on.

For Minori its more difficult because she refuses to face her blind spots, BUT she is exploring her own values through Ryuji. As she gets clearer about what drives her and makes who she is, she will become more willing to look into the dark places of her psyche to face her demons. Ryuji has been the necessary sounding board for her too.

You see, just because many people SEEM like a good match for you, it doen't mean they really are. It needs to be mutual, or else you will simply learn your life lesson and lose your "partner". So far only Ryuji and Taiga have been set up in that "mutual support" role. The other girls are learning and moving on...

Ryuji, for his part doesn't realize he's the catalyst in these other's lives, but he is beginning to understand that the one behind him is the one truly supporting him and that he had been reciprocating. Now that he isn't, he feels the gap and doesn't yet understand that all he needs to do is turn around.