View Single Post
Old 2008-05-05, 06:23   Link #22
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

The rules are well meaning but they fight a losing battle. Only a naive person will come to a discussion about the topic they are interested in and not expect to be spoiled in some way. The very nature of a worldwide forum that discusses fansubbed material creates a place where there is going to be someone who knows something will happen before others do. It's that persons responsibility to keep the impulses to discuss such things in check, but deciding when and where the place is to speak or hold back is a slippery slope.

I actually find most Animesuki series discussion to be largely civil. There are exceptions from time to time from people who can't be bothered to think before they post, but spoilers abound specifically because people are excited about discussing their favorite shows and everything about them.

For the most part people keep things tagged, and the only real fault is that unmarked or poorly marked spoilers can be misleading. On the other hand, they are spoilers....so if you don't wish to risk being spoiled, don't click them. It's why the tag exists in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei
Personally that's exactly the stuff I don't want to see in an anime thread. I don't care whether it diverged from the source or how that might affect future developments in the anime. If you want to talk about the source, do it in a manga thread.
Sorry, I don't agree. That's inconsiderate to think that anime threads should hold some special protected status that manga or game threads should be exempt from. What about stories where the anime is different from the manga? Is it fair that discussion about comparisons could potentially spoiler one group of people but not another?

In subforums it might be easier to split discussions into threads but for many of our series, we only get one thread for anime, then we have to go to a completely different place for other sources. Crossing wires can and does happen, regardless of how some feel.

To use a somewhat crude analogy, this discussion reminds me of safe sex vs abstinence. It doesn't matter how good the protection is, there's still a risk. The only way to ensure a risk free experience is to never participate in the first place. Avoid the temptation and you'll never have a problem, but if you decide to play around, it's inevitable that you'll get burned.