Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-10-01, 20:14   Link #4166
Shadow Kira01

A few days ago.. I had posted in the A Laugh A Day thread regarding the Sony Playstation 3 ad which I thought was funny but it actually turned out that I was right about something. Sony does not find it to be a laughing matter of any type:

Offending PlayStation 3 Ads Aren't PlayStation 3 Ads

Quote:
Sony Computer Entertainment America says the pair of Chilean promos were "totally fake." And so does the president of BBDO Chile, who said in a statement that the spots, one featuring high-ranking Nazi officer Erwin Rommel and the other Joan of Arc, were "never approved" by Sony.
Obviously, there is something wrong with the advertisement as that is has nothing to do with Playstation 3 with the exception of the official logo in the left-hand top corner but that makes little sense. One promo features an American man transferring his heart for Joan d'Arc while the other promo features the same American man transferring blood to a Nazi officer....!?

Cabinet ministers reveal rift over prospects for refueling mission

Quote:
Cabinet ministers revealed a rift Thursday over the prospects for Japan’s refueling mission in the Indian Ocean, with some disturbed by Foreign Minister Katsuya Okada’s remarks that left room for extending it despite the new government’s plan of not doing so. ‘‘The DPJ’s stance is not to extend (the mission). We won the election by saying so,’’ Defense Minister Toshimi Kitazawa said Thursday, responding to Okada’s remarks on Wednesday that he ‘‘basically doesn’t want to extend the mission, but it’s not a complete ‘No.’’’

The mission is set to end in January unless a special law authorizing it is extended. Mizuho Fukushima, minister in charge of consumer affairs and leader of the Social Democratic Party, the DPJ’s coalition partner, also seemed uncomfortable because her party is calling for the immediate withdrawal of the Maritime Self-Defense Force involved in the mission, saying, ‘‘This cabinet should go on with the policy of not extending.’’
Okada seems to be very flexible when it comes to foreign policy as that he is well-versed in the manifesto of the Democratic Party of Japan but unfortunately not everybody agrees as that it is a fact in which the DPJ had won for opposing the refueling mission and also the stance to stand firm on having balanced relations with the United States. Altering this stance may cause internal rife, no doubt 'bout that. Either way, Okada is still on the roll..^^

Turkey: student protester hurls shoe at IMF chief

Quote:
A student journalist threw a shoe at IMF Director Dominique Strauss-Kahn on Thursday and ran toward the stage shouting "IMF get out!" as the finance official answered questions at a university in Istanbul.

The white sports shoe bounced off another student's head but missed the IMF chief before landing beside him on the speaker's platform. Some students applauded. Strauss-Kahn moved to the side, and a security guard rushed to protect him.

Other guards quickly blocked the man — a student and a journalist with a small left-wing newspaper — from reaching the platform. They pushed him to the floor, covered his mouth with their hands and then dragged him from the hall.
Its been awhile since the last shoe throwing event...

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
A BBC editorial puts a different spin on why Japan's population is declining...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/worldtoni...ng_nation.html
From what I had read, isn't this the same thing as racism?

Japanese Internet Reacts To BBC's Dying Nation Claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7k
Why can’t young men wed anymore? I think it is because men can no longer say to women, ‘I can always protect you,’ in this dog-eat-dog world of restructurings and layoffs – such words are now unreal.

Women as a result now target two groups of men: "ikemen" (handsome, cool men), and rich men, the so-called ‘Hills tribe’ (referring to the ultra-prestigious Roppongi Hills residential tower).

But most men have neither money nor good looks, and as a result women will no longer consider them. Surprisingly, I’ve heard of cases where a chosen man will end up dating dozens or hundreds of women.

Since the ikemen and the rich monopolise the women, all that remains is a sterile desert, where normal men can no longer find a partner, so they flee to Akihabara and find love in the arms of an anime character.

- Nikkei Business Publication
I think this is the perfect explanation to the issue of declining birthrates, lack of marriages, and also the growing of the elderly population as opposed to the increasing size of the otaku community which is obviously irrelevant.