View Single Post
Old 2012-10-25, 09:38   Link #106
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
You earlier posted this :

Which essentially means more helplessness and loneliness in a foreign place.
No, not necessarily. What it means is that a person has to make his/her way in this foreign land, without the aid of teamwork right from the beginning.

Quote:
Also you fail to understand how important Toto is for Dorothy and the symbolisms behind the dog.
No, I didn't fail any such thing. All I said about Toto is that he isn't a person, and that prevents Dorothy from interacting with him the way two people can interact with each other. That's all. I wasn't saying he was unimportant.

Quote:
I said earlier that these premises have been less common, which does not mean it's not a common premise.
How often does a premise need to be used for you to consider it "common"? Considering the extreme vastness of the world of fiction, I should hope you have a fairly large number in mind...

Quote:
Seriously, how many stories in modern literature are about the same concept these days? I also have to dig up looking for stories about similar premises in English, just because such books are no longer the current trend.
Your reasoning that it's no longer common in modern anime seems invalid to me, because that is just how the taste of the audience seems to have changed for these kind of stories.
No, my reasoning is not invalid at all. Why a particular premise is uncommon doesn't change the fact that it is uncommon. The functional effect is the same: The premise is not used much, so when a new show featuring it comes out, people are more likely to take notice of it than a show that looks like its another generic anime show (be it harem, shounen, or whatever).

Read season previews on various anime-focused blogs, and you'll see exactly what I mean. Writers for such blogs get much more excited for rarer premises than they do for more generic ones.

Quote:
The reason is because while sharing many elements, no stories are direct carbon copies of eachother. So even a ripoff has some elements that the original does not have.
That doesn't mean it's not a ripoff though.

Quote:
So i am asking this again without being rhetorical this time: Your point is?
My point is that not all premises are exactly equally good. Some have more potential than others, due to relative rarity, scope, or some other factor.

Quote:

which should not always be accurate enough depending on the size of the story. Unless you are making strangly long lines, even stories with not complex premises like your example below "Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate" is pretty hard to summarize accurately with just 2 sentences.
Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate is hard to sum up in 2 sentences?

It's about a teenage guy who is forced to enter a Student Council President election in order to save his threatened Food Research Club, but along the way some disturbing facts about his school will be made known to him... The story also includes significant romance elements, in which chocolate is important to the male and female leads for a mysterious reason that will later be revealed...

Bang, done.

Quote:
Odd choice you have used here.
Seeing that the anime version has almost no "koi" in it...
There's plenty of koi in it. Just because koi plays second fiddle to senkyo doesn't mean there's "almost no koi" in it. That's a bit of an exaggeration on your part.