View Single Post
Old 2012-09-21, 21:19   Link #294
Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzuya13 View Post
I don't know about "being lonely" cause I'm a Clotaku (Closet Otaku). Cause I think my friends would think I'm weird considering I'm already 23 and still watch anime.
I suppose it all depends on how you explain it. I've been watching anime for longer than you've been alive (!) and my friends don't think I'm weird. It can be a lifelong passion if you let it, particularly since there are always new shows coming out. Sure, a lot of them are all about fan service, but there are just as many that take a more serious approach. In my mind, it's no different than someone who's still into comic books well into their life.

I think back when I got into the hobby, it was a bit lonelier than it is now. Anime clubs - if they existed - were fairly small. Anime conventions of 200-300 people were huge, and very few people even understood what it was. Now we have huge conventions and I rarely run into anyone who doesn't know what it is, even if they've never seen it. Just remember - all the geek culture that we see now at ComicCon and other venues was all underground 20-30 years ago. The Internet has really allowed fans of many genres to come together more readily.
Digital is offline   Reply With Quote