View Single Post
Old 2011-12-12, 00:19   Link #3963
Ryus
The One Eyed King

^Great find, but I wanted to hear Juvia going nuts over Gray... not her mellow self before meeting him. I mean how can I judge that... she's not revealed her true self yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Protip: The shows target demographic IS 9 year olds.
Actually it's 9-15 year olds

Hence my comment was about them only targeting the dumbest audience member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
I don't think they give kids enough credit tbh. They've just shown Natsu setting the doll on fire and Happy taking it to high speed, then the narrator says "Allow me to explain; Natsu set the doll on fire and Happy took it to high speed." Even a 9 year-old would want to slap him and say "no shit!" The director is pretty crap imo.
QFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
I think you just missed the joke, frankly.
It's a parody of sentai shows. The cliche thing is that in sentai shows whenever a character uses a super power the narrator (or perhaps a scientist on scene, whoever) chimes in to "explain" the super power.... "Let me explain: By vibrating his teeth at supersonic speeds, Plaqueman creates extremely high pitched sonic waves that resonate with the titanium bones of his enemy, causing them to super heat and explode!"

etc...

So yes, it's stupid humor but it's rooted in classic sentai tropes. It's something frankly even middle aged people would find amusing if they were fans of these sorts of shows.
Allow me to explain. A punch is when you roll your fists up and move it very fast so a hard part of the fist hits a soft part of someone you don't like with the intention of hurting them. The narroator needlessly chimes in when a simple rewrite with Lucy, Happy or Natsu saying something similar could have worked much better. Like Lucy saying you "HOW DARE YOU USE ME AS YOUR MISSILE!" A) it would have been so LUCY and B) no matter how stupid I'm sure most would have laughed there asses off at that, and C) Everyone understands the result of a missile to the face.

What was even worse was the lame jokes about and in the middle of the sudden introduction in the series of the narrator randomly popping in and explaining a basic mixture of 2 known magic power with a voodoo doll (that ii also such a commonly known object people will just get), lets alone something so obvious it wasn't even funny.

Oh and my 10 year old cousin whom just watched it and found it "very stupid" too. Sorry you are wrong in this case, the target market (of a very scientific sampling of only one person , sorry best I could do ) even found it insultingly obvious too and didn't want the explanation.

We all get it was rooted in the tropes of the genre but that still fell on the needless and stupid usage of the trope.

Last edited by Ryus; 2011-12-12 at 00:30.
Ryus is offline   Reply With Quote