View Single Post
Old 2011-04-05, 11:33   Link #341
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Regarding the hate regarding the grandmother, I'm going to post something I posted somewhere else:

"It seems that theres a lot of hate regarding the grandmother, but I can tell these people haven't watched many Asian dramas, because that character archtype is VERY common. These kind of matriarchal character almost all the time end up as good characters. It really isn't a surprise as the grandmother is just assuming that Ohana is like her mother - an irresponsible person who eloped when she was young. The face of the grandmother just before she triple-slapped Ohana showed that Ohana has already gained a little bit of respect from the grandmother in how she is trying to be responsible. Also the fact that everyone in the inn seems to respect the grandmother without any opposition.

In Asian countries, theres this very much still alive belief that the most effective form of punishment for a person, is to openly in front of that person, punish someone else, usually someone close to them. To give an example, when a younger sibling does something wrong, the parents will call out both the younger sibling and the olders sibling and punish the older sibling in front of the younger sibling for "not taking care of the younger sibling in the correct way". This results in the younger sibling feeling guilty for the older sibling and in theory fixing that wrong act or habit. If everything turns out ideally, then the younger sibling is expected to plead to their parents not to involve the older sibling at all and that it was purely their fault. The older sibling is expected to "take the blow". This is exactly what happened with Ohana when Minko was slapped in front of Ohana and Minko not retaliating and Ohana stood up that it was her fault."

From a 22 year old from a semi-traditional Korean family.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote