View Single Post
Old 2010-07-08, 04:34   Link #6
AC730

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Um, hi, that was me and I'm a chick for the record; a chick who was really put off by some of the fanservice scenes and couldn't figure out why some of those Nadeko snake scenes were really necessary to tell the story. And a six does mean I thought the show was average, not horrible. I enjoyed the parts where the story moved forward, the parts where the character talked and engaged in word play, but the missing cuts, untranslated text flashes (which is more of a fansub thing than anything else) and the scenes where I was going "Am I going to drop this series with more of the story to tell because the visuals look like they came out of a hentai?" irked me. It was simply a case where a story I liked had completely miss-aimed fanservice (for me) and made me actively uncomfortable by watching it. Normally I'm fine with male-oriented fanservice (impossibly jiggling boobs, panty shots, ect) but the scenes in Snake looked like Nadeko was getting raped by suggestive looking objects and in a bathing suit, I mean, gym uniform. All of that combined did lower the score I gave it and I suppose I would've preferred to read these as novels instead of watching the anime.
First off the bat, although I would to agree with omimon that 6 feels like a very low score for this show, I would like to say that we are all entitled to all our opinions. Hence, the reviews we write here and sharing our thoughts and ideas. Now Bakemonogatari obviously created a male-orientated audience as it's target and I would like to say it succeeds in that aspect but fails to to attract the female part of the audience with it's arguable 'fan-service' scenes. Everyone interprets everything differently, to me the part where she shows the scales was necessary for me because I wouldn't be able to grasp the idea of a snake oddity binding Nadeko while it being invisible to the naked eye. Explaining it would've made the monologue's go over board and would've been hard to perceive for me as a visual learner. With the many explanations it already presented, it tried a fresh new take. Watching that very scene made me feel uneasy as well but it didn't degrade the story, and did not feel like fan-service IMO. Yes, those Blu-Ray scenes in that episode were extremely suggestive, but then again this is a mature show with the jokes presented before hand. I don't quite agree with the idea of watching this show like hentai, I've seen shows that is literally close to it but is not classified as hentai. If it was, this show failed at the 'true objective' then. Again all those suggestive scenes and shots just shows that this show was meant for the male demographics, just like some shows are for the female demographics. Another important point is that don't blame the point for being unable to understand the Japanese context or the language for this show, this was meant for Japan demographics again. Then the argument comes to how does one review without voicing their opinion? Well if you've done some research, THORAnime Blu-Ray or qIIq subs actually translate absolutely almost close to every single thing on screen. So if you would, you could reconsider watching that fan-sub. They are only missing episodes 13 and 14 (recently completed 15). Hopefully I've helped open some opinions here but I'm not slandering against your opinion but explaining some of my thoughts and some "solutions" here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
The main problem with this anime was the staff not being able to make it on time. It took them way too long to complete the series, finishing... like what, almost a year after when it should have ended? Thanks to that, any passion I had for the anime has completed been washed down the drain and I'm left not really caring what is going on whenever the anime does air, be it once a month or once half a year.

I guess from my memories...
The animation was... Shaft. Lots of cuts and other "Look, my sense is so great, uhoho!" moments Shaft tends to add in, trying to hide the fact they didn't make it on time by their "Shaft" animation, etc. In general, it wasn't bad though. Over-exaggerated at times though.

Characters..................
Yoshino (Hoshino?) was cool.
Nadeko was cute (and her arc so lackluster).
Mayoi MaiMai went Mayoi ByeBye thanks to Nadeko
Class Pres... doesn't really matter herself, but I got to give my condolences to her for suffering the worse from the staff not being able to make it on time.
The rest doesn't really matter.

Story... varied from good to bad. Too much random and boring talking.

It really is fun to watch the sells of the DVDs though. It is so obvious which character is popular and which are not.
Nadeko...

So, anyways, 6/10, which is average. If the anime actually finished on time, it might have been a different story though.
Actually, I thought about 7/10, but I couldn't help but lower down by 1 point because of a crazy worshipper unable to stand others not worshipping this anime.

You know, it isn't April Fools Day, so keep such idiotic statements to yourself.
The guy in Hawaiian shirt was Oshino Meme. When you're reviewing something, try to keep the facts right please. This is because when you say something you are unsure about, it also displays a doubt within your opinion to show. Meaning that people will doubt if you've actually watched the show or even your opinion as valid. It gives people the impression that you don't care or that you can't remember. I'm not making fun of you being unsure, but because the language you presented and the spelling for Oshino really made the review seem a bit awry. Secondly, this is where we review the show itself, not how they made the show. Meaning reviews aren't based on how long they took to make it, but what was IN the show. Because of what you said, it makes you review seem extremely biased being disappointed in the events that had occurred. And last of all, even though omimon was wrong to tell the other person to stop, you shouldn't reply with an attack. We're here to share ideas, not to insult each other.
AC730 is offline   Reply With Quote