View Single Post
Old 2012-12-21, 17:26   Link #31471
Kealym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormin View Post
Hey i just wanted to join in the wild speculation thread, just finished umineko.
Congrats! Welcome to the land of us chattering goats, etc. etc. !!

Quote:
Spoiler for stuff:
Well, to be very frank about most of that,
1. I think you have problems with Ryukishi's writing / plotting, more than "Shkanon"
2. The gameboards don't need to match up with "what actually happened that day". Lots of things are possible in the catbox, after all. When you're ready, I'd recommend reading through Our Confessions, which is pretty much a walkthrough of Beato making the outlines for another gameboard, and confirms the tricks from a lot of the other Episodes. Wanderer rather graciously provided a translation not too long ago, and I guess someone copy+pasta's it to the wiki.

http://umineko.wikia.com/wiki/Our_Confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1 View Post
Yes, the problem is that apparently she has no serious problems at all apart from a maid complex. She seems an ordinary orphan girl who's living an ordinary life as a servant.

Apart from maybe her witch obsession she doesn't seem out of the ordinary, especially to George who's not exactly experienced.

So, although he's a self centered idiot, it's not that surprising he completely fail to guess that she has such huge problems.
Yeah, people are being really hard on George here, I think.
He may seem to consider himself her intellectual superior, but ... I mean, it never seemed, to me, that she was trying to communicate her problems to George. At best, her rather romantic view of the world. And, to boot, both Jessica and Battler have much more openly expressed a disdain for that kind of thing, while George just sort of accepted it as a step in her way to adulthood.

Quote:
I like the theory that erika is already dead. Sad end to somehow sad character.

But what it comes to episodes 5 and 6, i always had hard time to consider them as parts of the main mystery. I understand that in the universe they are "written" by different person, but are they really serious adds to the story? I always thought that they are just boards constructed in order to give us hints about the "real" core of the story, episodes 1-4. Willard doesn't even touch the games when "slicing the illusions" in the episode 7.
Erika's body was never found, but she fell overboard in the area. I was thinking today, actually, about how she can be so detached about destroying Rokkenjima in EP8 - after all, if the Ushiromiya's were "ghosts of 1986", then surely she was, too?

That's when I realized - Erika has the ability to take part on Rokkenjima gameboards, but she can also take part in other mysteries, too, if you're willing to make the improbable assumption that she survived and drifted away and never wanted to go home again.

Quote:
Even though i love erika as one of the badassest antagonists, i find the episodes 5 and 6 somehow separated from the rest of the story. I actually haven't even tried to solve the mysteries behind these episodes and concentrated only on 1-4, treating 5 and 6 only as clues. That's why shkanontrice hate based on red text on extra clue chapters always felt like missing the point to me.
I think you're correct, that Chiru was moreso supposed to be additional clues for us. Neither of those gameboards even goes past the 2nd Twilight. In Dawn, in particular, there's barely anything there to SOLVE, except maybe "who placed the letter outside the Guesthouse".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Also, he didn't even really address the fourth one. He kinda stops 2/3 of the way through Banquet.
Hey, this is "Nah, we don't need to hear about the last two years" Will, here.
Kealym is offline   Reply With Quote