Thread: Headphones..
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-14, 18:21   Link #148
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by takai View Post
Ah, I see. The problem is a pre-amp looks to be bulky. I usually like to walk around listening to music with them. the only other thing I'd use them for besides casual listening would be for voice acting. What's the usual price range for one?
Well I like to categorize Headphone amps into three sections Desktop Amps, Portable Amps, Amp/DACs. I assume you want a portable one, fortunately there the cheapest out of the 3 types! They range from $25-$150 (anything more you can get your self a nice desktop amp for better sound)

For the best I would say (good investment if you plan on upgrading your cans or want more sound out of your cans, quite honestly you pay for what you get. plus they can fit in your pocket/bag)
---
Top 3
JDS Labs CMoyBB - $59.99 ($70-77.99 for custom)
Electric Avenues PA2V2 - $59.99 - $75.00 (the next one I plan on getting)
FiiO E11 - $59.14

And there are the Really expensive ones like

Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G Headphone amplifier - wooping $150 buckaroos
The zo Personal Subwoofer - $100

----
I looked into your headphones its about 55 ohm, yeah your going to need a pre-amp to drive these cans. Anything above will perfectly drive them. Your ears will thank you later, but if this is still out of price range. The cheapest/quality ratio for the price. I would say:
Fiio E6 Headphone Amplifier - $23
If I would get the E6, I would NEED a L3 Line Out Dock Cable to make it sorta better with Apple loss-less files on the classic.
again you pay for what you get.

In addition if you plan on getting a headphone pre-amp, you need to get either a L3 Line Out Dock Cable (If your source is IPOD) anything else you need a 3.5mm Stereo Male To Male Cable (which also works on Ipod). ($8 for male to male, or direct L3 connection for max quality on IPOD $13). Of course to connect everything. Amazon, and the cMoy web are both one stop shopping places to get the two things you need. Pre-amp and cable.

When its set up it looks like this. Not only does it give you a cool tecky retro look, they make your music sound so much sweeter! Welcome to the Hi-fi realm.

This is my set up

---
another picture I found on the PA2V2 website

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2013-01-14 at 19:03.
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote