View Single Post
Old 2010-01-21, 20:02   Link #808
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I have to laugh at how they still don't seem to have figured this trailer release thing out. First it's one still shot of Yuki from the promotional poster playing (lazy), then it's actually a little bit of movie stuff, and now it's five minutes of low res still images of mostly scenes we've either already seen from the previous trailer or that spoil the events of the movie with some music that I guess is supposed to be inspirational or something (extremely lazy). Guess they've still got that whole thing going on where they presume hype and the franchise name alone will sell the product, which it probably will.

I'm still on the fence about whether I even want to bother seeing this or not and I can't say they're making it seem any more desirable a watch with this latest campaign. I also can't say I think length is going to factor in much at all to the presentation for the story and would almost imagine they just want to be famous for having a really long animated movie before anything else. Not looking good at all.....
Where I agree with you...

The 5 minute Lantis production isn't technically a movie trailer, from what I was told, but rather an advertisement for the movie's original sound track.

Now, as an advertisement for the OST, it works quite well. This is a good way to promote the movie's soundtrack.

Problem is... it reveals way, way too much from the movie. It may help sales of the movie's soundtrack, but it could undermine gate receipts for the movie itself, by basically giving everything away to non-novel readers. Here I agree with you.

Something like this probably should only be released after the movie has already been in theaters for a week or so, when the effect of massive movie spoilers is greatly lessened (since people are talking all about it anyway).

At that point, something like this 5 minute production could get people who have a mild liking for Haruhi, but haven't bothered to take the time to go see the movie during its first week in theaters, to get up and go see it.

I also agree with you that I don't get why there aren't more standard 30 second to a minute or so movie trailers for this. Maybe it's a Japanese cultural thing?

In North America though, that is how you hype movies... with pumping or intriguing 30 second to a minute or so movie trailers that take catchy lines or good shots from the movie, done to riveting music. This sort of approach helped the most recent Batman movies a lot, I think.

Now, where I disagree with you...

The artwork here looks great. It might not be as high-res as it'll look in theaters, but it still shows us how nice the movie's visuals will be.

Perhaps the best thing about the 5 minute Lantis production is how it silences any concerns that some of us may have had concerning the overall look and feel of the movie. Basically, this movie looks to have an art style that I think almost all, if not all, Haruhi fans will be cool with.

I also think that the movie itself will probably be excellent. The Lantis production shows a lot of promising work. I'm definitely looking forward to watching this movie.

But... that being said... yeah, this is giving a whole lot away. It's almost on the level of the script to the Wolverine movie getting released before the movie aired in theaters.

KyoAni either doesn't think that any non-novel readers whatsoever are interested in the movie, or they have no control or influence over Lantis here, or both.