View Single Post
Old 2010-12-31, 02:00   Link #20770
neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Don't be too sure. I still want to believe he's being earnest about the red; i.e. no tricks like "Shannon is dead but Beatrice isn't lol!" Short of that, there are many ways the rest of what you said can be true and still be fair. I'm going to take Beatrice at her word on the red being intended to help rather than hinder (and red evasion goes directly against that premise).

If you go by what the Red Truth seems to say (as opposed to what it actually does), you have to assume Kanon and Kinzo came back to life and Eva-Beatrice actually exists and killed Nanjo in Ep3. Virgilia even warned Battler about listening carefully to it in EP3.

I admit the possibility of a red herring, but multiple personalities were hinted at. Most obviously with Eva-Beatrice, but Battler also raised the possibility in EP3 that Jessica had one that killed Nanjo. (It was refuted with the Red Truth, not by denying DID, but by saying Jessica's body did nothing.) In EP1, IIRC Battler wondered how you could have more people than humans on the island. If you go by the theory that the meta-world is in Ange's subconscious, a solution involving multiple personalities would help meta-Battler realize he was one himself.

Quote:
I do agree on this point as well: The idea that Yasu is somehow mentally ill in some form is laughable. People with debilitating mental conditions cannot do the things she does, let alone the things she's suspected of doing. Her reaction to adverse events is also very different from that of a mentally ill individual; she becomes despondent and depressed, and that honestly is about it and is a perfectly rational response for an entirely sane person to have in response to setbacks.
Actually, that sounds more like depression. If mental illness could be summed up with one set of symptoms, there'd be no need for the DSM-IV. Schizophrenics and depressives probably couldn't do these things, but psychopaths like the BTK killer got away with their crimes for decades while living a normal life. DID can actually be thought of like a coping mechanism: if one personality can't respond to adverse events, a personality that can is created.
neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote