View Single Post
Old 2012-12-17, 07:16   Link #149
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
To be completely frank, I don't know how anybody can watch this episode and think that Rikka's chuunibyou was an entirely bad thing.
Not harmless is the same as entirely bad? Can anyone view the bento sequence and NOT come to the conclusion that Rikka's chuuni has something to do with her dreadful family life? Yes, Yuuta has fixed all the problems at school; social isolation, math, etc. nevertheless, unless you buy the argument that Rikka's family are all villainous individuals, surely there is a problem at hand when Rikka's mother appears clothed not necessarily with realism, but with the tropes of a gentle and benign anime mother. Otherwise, nothing makes sense for the last three episodes, in terms of plot or characterization. I don't think I've EVER said Rikka's current mental state is desirable, but the writers have inserted dramatic conflict for a reason. Yes, Rikka MUST reconnect with her chuuni, because it is so tightly bound to both the whole series and her character, but it must be moderated to some degree. And to moderate it now means there was too much of it before, and I don't know what else could be the purpose of introducing the mother.