View Single Post
Old 2007-11-10, 17:28   Link #103
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Some defense of Wing:

- Let's not bring Endless Waltz into this. Not only were the designs ridiculous (I'm with hobbes_fan... FEATHERS?!), but it also features other ridiculousness, like some of the Gundam pilots being completely inexperienced. Is it even canon?

- Despite having a less prominent role than the primary characters, Treize was the real force that made Wing a worthwhile, unique story. He provided a very interesting perspective on war and fighting. He was a villain, to be sure, but as one who understood political power and yet worked not for his own self-interest but for his philosophy, he at least earned the viewer's respect.

- Zechs was a better antagonist than Char. Don't flame me, because I don't even like writing it, myself. This really only applies to the pre-head-case-I-want-to-be-Char's-Counterattack Zechs, though. Zechs had identifiable motivations and emotions, whereas Char was pretty much a soldier with a sense of honor who, for some reason, latched on to Amuro as his Moby Dick. Yes, there was the Zabi family issues, but that takes a backseat to his primary place as Amuro's rival. That's a tad ridiculous. It's understandable, since Char's character development was actually designed for a completely different direction for the story that didn't happen, but it still ends up making a poor impression. Zechs, however, is his own person first and Heero's rival second. Zechs is an attempt to do Char right. It works very well, but it leaves a very different impression outside of the context of the original Gundam story, so he'll never really be Char.

- Fancy, yet not "super robot" style, mobile suit designs from Tallgeese to Epyon to Wing Zero. Yeah, they're flashy, but they look danged good. Wanna fight about it? (Endless Waltz and its stupidity doesn't count.)

- NO NEWTYPES. The Newtype plot element of the original Gundam series isn't bad, just out of place. It cheapens everything that came before it. Wing uses the Zero system to pay homage to the original without becoming mired in trying to decide which story it's trying to tell.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote