View Single Post
Old 2006-06-07, 17:55   Link #242
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.D. Geist
btw. can anybody read what this sign means?! (shown between short pause of asakura trying to kill kyon for the first time)

or is it not important?

(well there are some other signs/boardtexts which are left untranslated... thanks to good it isnt that extreme like in PPD ^^)
You should put the first picture in spoiler tags, because it really widened my browser screen (which is only at 1024 resolution.. yes, yes, 1280 is da nuu thing, but I have poor eyes). Regarding the carving on the table, it's not related to anyone in SOS, so it's not really important.

The umbrella carving, for those who are unfamiliar, is a phenomenon of Japanese culture where lovers (or admirers..) carve their names under the umbrella pictograph.. I suspect that the carving actually has to do with the little "backstory" throughout episode 10.

Notice that at the beginning of the ep where Haruhi has her head on the table, we see the clip of two students in athletic wear setting up a tennis net, and the girl being abit shy. Later, after the fight, when Haruhi talks to Kyon, the two students are on the school grounds, with the girl slapping the guy, pushing him to the floor and running off. To reconstruct this little story's timeline, we have to note that the slapping occurs the next day, and the guy goes "matte yooo T_T" after the girl b-slaps his bald ass. : B It seems plausible that the carving is related to this story.

Regarding Haruhi, her jealousy is quite adorable to me ; ) Of course, Kyon's aloofness about it can be quite frustrating.. I'd really like to see or know what her expression was as she left the room after Kyon kept Mikuru's pictures. I think that despite what was being said, Haruhi -didn't- know that Kyon kept those pictures.. Of course, that she bounces back incredibly the following day (this happens throughout the novel) is also quite a curious thing to me. I wonder what happens.

I'll note, also, that some people have qualms over Haruhi's "possession" of Kyon that doesn't allow the Mikuru/Kyon pairing. I won't pull in things like time paradoxes or fate, or any of the such since time travel used in this fashion is in itself entirely illogical. What I can say is that the Kyon x Haruhi x Mikuru relationship is abit more subtle than that.. at least it is so in the novel. I'd elaborate more, but you guys will just have to read the novels...

Also, it's nice to note that while Yuki's expression is stoic throughout the episode, including during Kyon's assessment that she "looks cuter/better" without her spectacles, Yuki actually stops wearing glasses from then on : O If you observe in episode 9 (Someday in the Rain, which is also chronologically last in the timeline), she doesn't wear glasses. If we combine that with the speculation that it was Yuki who put the first cardigan on Kyon, then...