View Single Post
Old 2011-01-10, 20:53   Link #47
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Now I don't wish to bring up every moe anime in existence that has done this unless I have to, but it is a common problem. Sure you have animes like EF who don't, and actually make real characters (Probably why I highly value this as a romance no doubt), but it is a persistent problem I find in MANY shows, including the lauded trifectora of Air, Kanon, and Clannad.
I feel like what you're describing here is more a case of adaptation decay than anything inherently wrong with shows that have many characters considered to be moe. I assume that your complaints about the key/kyoani shows, particularly clannad, are related mostly to the side characters since I found the characterization of the main characters to be quite good in those shows. In the source material the side characters were also well done (in my opinion).

My point is that I feel like the complaint is that being moe somehow causes bad characters whereas I think that, while the two are correlated, one does not cause the other. There is nothing wrong with a character being moe, however I feel that there is a perception that having moe elements makes a character/show bad when I would argue shoddy characterization and poor adaptations make characters or shows bad independent of their moe properties. My concern is that people feel like they shouldn't like something if it is moe rather than basing their opinions on the actual quality of the show.