View Single Post
Old 2007-07-02, 04:58   Link #65
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
A solidly enjoyable finale. Not, as I discussed with a friend, a 'fantastic' episode, but a very enjoyable one nonetheless.

Moments of especial enjoyment include Yorito's death, which was incredibly poignant, and Matsuri's fading, as well as the conversion of Mana into Yorito II, and the scene with Aono and Koyori creating origami. Bonus points for Mayuko's top hat.

I would have liked, I suppose, to see Yorito say something to Matsuri as he died. That would have made me even more emotional, I think - and thinking back, knowing that his last words in her direction was to say, without bitterness, that he knows she is lying, is quite powerful... but I would have liked an obvious affirmation.

Final 'fight' seemed a bit rushed, but was likeable. The final scenes were also well done, but I actually quite disliked the idea that the juice cans were left on the table. It feels needlessly teasing. To those who say it's from the last time that Yorito and Matsuri are there, well... that's what, three months ago anime time? And also, Matsuri had only one drink there. I can't see rubbish staying in a public place for that long without someone, whether official or not, picking it up. Also... weren't Koyori and Aono just there the other morning? I think it's basically NOMAD deciding to 'throw a bone', but doing so in a way that felt artificial. Note, Koyori and Aono both start as if shocked, and stare up at the arbor - and there are two cans, sitting next to each other. Why did they start? Did they hear something? It can't have been seen, both were looking in different directions, and both reacted at once .

DVD episodes, I feel, will sadly not shed any light on Matsuri and Yorito. Hopefully there'll be something, just a tad. Oh well - I was more or less right that Yorito and Matsuri would die, and that Matsuri would sacrifice herself for Aono. I didn't see Yorito dying before Aono though... still, the ending was enjoyable, and a fitting close for the series, quibbles aside. 8/10.

-Andiyar