Thread: Macross "Canon"
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-26, 16:16   Link #20
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
My 'impatient' comment comes from the fact that you seem to assume that everything that's up so far is all you need to make a judgement on what Kawamori's pov is.

From what I can tell, that hasn't changed since that 1998 interview. For me, the clincher appears in the Master Files - though I only have access to one of them - but this won't be going up for a while.

In other words, neither my pov nor yours matters (either on canon or on what Kawamori actually thinks) - Kawamori's does, and I don't think you have enough information to make a judgement on what that is yet.

It also amazes me that you put so much stock in possible interpretations of what the creators say in interviews, but seemingly refuse to accept interpretation of scenes / incidents in the series that differ from yours.
I normally expect creators to not put blatant bullshit into interviews they do. But of course Kawamori seems to be kind of the Joss Whedon of the east and likes to blatantly troll his audience. The problem here is that Japanese interviewers mostly seem to suck. I've very seldomly seen an interview with Kawamori where the guy was asked something substantial ( the two you put up are among those ), so we have very little information at our disposal.

With what we got so far, it seems that Kawamori updated his own opinion over the span of more of a decade. Given that most people evolve themselves in half that timespan in such a way that they think that their former selves were complete retards, I put more credence in the last information we have than in an interview from a decade+ ago.

As to your last paragraph, creator interviews should have more weight than fan interpretations. That doesn't mean that fans can't be right, too, and I think my own interpretation of some characters ( especially Alto ) works much better than what Kawamori and Yoshino themselves think what they've done ( because there have been quite a few cases where a character did not come off like his creators intended... in this case to the advantage of Alto ).

And ultimately, these are my own interpretations and they should not be more relevant to you than ones from other people. I've long accepted that I cannot convince everybody. Although it's fun to try.