View Single Post
Old 2008-09-08, 19:50   Link #1283
Exucartus

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuromancer View Post
Generally I agree, but in regards to the script writing there's something I really want to get off my chest about this series.

It seems to me that, at every turn, sunrise is always going for the biggest possible mindf*ck. There is a very characteristic yet simple recipe they follow. They start off by building a "feelgood" factor and, once the plot has reached a point where the viewer will have let his guard down and start thinking "hey things are finally starting to work out", they bring everything crashing down.
Examples:
Season 1
  • The rebelion is going well. It's time to move onto the next stage in the plan to liberate Japan. Then... Euphemia announces the creation of a Japanese state inside Area 11 on a whim. The plan is ruined. Anger, frustration etc etc... The fairy-tale princess thinks she has the right to decide the fates those who have spilled the blood of others and their own.
  • Lelouche thinks of Nunnally. Maybe it's best for everyone's sake to go along along with Euphemia's plan. Everything works out perfectly. Suddenly, geass goes haywire with the worst possible outcome - genocide princess. Naive and gullible though she was, ultimatelly she was an innocent who received the worst possible and most undeserved fate. Really sad and pityful.
  • Lelouche starts picking up the pieces from the massacre. The original plan is back on track. The rebelion's most crucial battle takes place. Everything is going smoothly, looks like the biggest victory for the black knights. V.V kidnaps Nunnally. Lelouche abandons the rebelion (!) and everything falls to ruin.

The second season is even "worse" in this. It's the same pattern that keeps repeating it's self over and over so they can deliver the most powerfull "wtf!?" moments. It's become predictable... As soon as things start going really well for Lelouche you might as well start preparing to be mentally screwed. I don't mind tragedy or melodrama, I love NGE for example, but every tragic twist in Code Geass seems deliberate and forced. I think maybe they allow the plot to be a little bit contrived on purpose sometimes, so the viewer will be even more frustrated when these things happen. It's like Ichirou (the writer) is a sadist or something.
You know this feels reminiscent of Michael Moorcock's Elric (not the Elric from FMA). Everything Elric does almost ends in failure, just when you think Elric is going to get a break, he get's screwed over once again. It is that type of tragic Greek hero archetype that I see Lelouch becoming.
Exucartus is offline   Reply With Quote