View Single Post
Old 2012-01-13, 15:40   Link #20
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Lemme post a source for why I labeled this as an OVA:

http://www.gpara.com/article/cms_sho...28775&c_num=14

Quote:
本作は2012年初夏に、約10館で上映が予定されている劇場上映作品である。発表会終了後のインタビュー では、河口氏の口から、「全部で数本が制作される予定であり、大分ボリュームがある内容になっています。初 夏に公開されるのは第1話となる予定です」と説明が行われている。
Here, Gpara states that the initial release format is that Akito the Exiled will be screened at theatrical events at 10 cinemas in early Summer 2012. But after the press conference ended, there was an interview session with the Sunrise producer. The producer is quoted as saying that "We have have multiple parts planned for the complete production, and it compromises of a pretty substantial amount of content. For early Summer what we will be screening is only meant to be the first episode."

This basically confirms that Akito the Exiled is a multi-part series, and not a one-off theatrical movie. The wording in the announcement of Akito the Exiled in the conference (I watched the stream of the press conference) is that it is not a movie, only a new anime work. The screening in 10 cinemas is stated to be a theatrical event. The word event is important, because we have to realize that in Japan, this is a very popular way of premiering both TV shows and OVAs before they start. If they don't say that it is a movie, it is unlikely to actually be one. Gundam Unicorn also followed the same announcement pattern.

As for why it cannot be a TV series, this can be explained by examining the copyright of the show. When productions are made to be TV shows, especially popular franchise ones, the TV sponsor is always on board as one of the production companies. Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion is a shared copyright between Sunrise, Project Geass, and MBS. Code Geass Akito of the Exiled is merely a shared copyright between Sunrise and Project Geass.

I think that based on the way it was announced and the information we have so far, it being a limited theatrical release + OVA format is basically the only possibly. If anyone has more information, or if I made an error in looking through the details, I'll appreciate being corrected. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
The trailer was taken down "due to copyright violations"

Here is another one for anybody that didn't see it:
Thanks, I've edited it back into the first post. Too bad it's flipped though.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote