View Single Post
Old 2009-10-29, 12:55   Link #1631
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I'd be much more concerned if he'd went with his "don't care" demeanor, which he showed to Ranka more than a few times. "Do what you want" is not what I'd like to hear from someone I want to be in love with me. ^^
Oh, that's not fair "Do what you want" can just as easily be interpreted as "Do what you like," but it's not like he said those words with an annoyed face

Quote:
Yeah, we are speaking of the same scene. It was another important scene in their romance, because Sheryl was trying to push Alto away, after she knew of her illness. It showed that she loved him so much, because she wanted to spare him the pain of seeing her die.
I don't know, to me it seemed more like Sheryl was trying to avoid being pitied by Alto, which is exactly what happened. I'm not sure if Sheryl was more afraid to die or more afraid of Alto's sympathy. Conveniently enough, Alto's sudden actions of "love" coincide with the revelation of Sheryl's fatal disease. In contrast, you have the conversation in episode 19 where Alto seemed more like his usual self, and then the conversation in episode 22 where Alto suddenly seems to be in "love" with her. Can you really call that love? Right after Sheryl begins to shed tears, Alto had this look of desperation on his face and so he hugs her and tells her "I'll stay with you."

Maybe that scene is a little more controversial than we originally thought. From my perspective, this just brings me back to my original point that Alto is just being caught up in his circumstances.

Quote:
Yet at the same time Sheryl and Alto found time to have meaningful forward movement in their romance. When exactly is the next conversation between Alto and Ranka which could be considered romantic ( from your side, I made my point before what I think of it )? Episode 21. That's five ( one fifth of the entire series, near the home stretch to boot. ) episodes in which nothing happened romantically from Altos side, while Sheryl and Alto were getting closer and closer.
Meaningful, yes. Romantic progression? Maybe not so much, in my opinion that is. As for Alto and Ranka, well hey, Ranka was just as much a victim of circumstances as Sheryl. The difference being that Sheryl got to stay with Alto, in which she took full advantage. Remember that Ranka was kept pretty busy through out this whole series, that being, rising to stardom, fighting for Frontier, etc. Whereas, Sheryl already had her place in stardom and had a lot more free time to spend with him.

I also remember right before Alto had his conversation with Klan (when he was visiting Nanase I believe,) he looked at the painting of Ranka and said something like "Ranka, I..." Another questionable scene that could have gone either way, but it still makes one wonder. I do agree though, Alto and Sheryl were getting closer and closer but for Sheryl, it might have been for the wrong reasons.

Quote:
Ah, I see. Well, you won't be surprised that I disagree completely with the notion that he simply did "tell her what she wanted to hear", since I firmly believe he did tell her that he loved her in a bad round-about matter ( "A man cannot fly alone" ), but I like the way you extrapolated that this time he was thoughtful enough to remember what Sheryl told him in ep 14.
Of course, I don't expect you to agree with any of my points but it's nice to share our conflicting thoughts with each other.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2009-10-29 at 13:13. Reason: Typo