Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-06, 22:59   Link #22413
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I could see it getting pricy in a lot of scenarios though (ie. I have a wimpy ultraportable that clearly does not have the power to VM the Windows apps I need for school and work on top of Linux and desktops in the two locations where I need a lot of power and storage space... dual machining would be a very pricy proposition there.)
Let me suggest what I have been doing for some years. Get yourself a cheap desktop out of used parts (hunt them down at amazon or ebay). The motherboard from where I am currently writing this was damn cheap, just had to pay a technician to change the capacitors. The CPU was used (and this is most of the time the most expensive piece of a computer). RAM has no moving parts therefore I have never had any trouble, albeit I sometimes find cheap NEW ram and buy it. The hard disk (and the cabinet w/power supply) I do not reccomend buying second hand. Sadly hard disks price skyrocketed and have just started going down slowly. You do not need to buy everything the same day, you can slowly build up a machine so you can have a nice piece of equipment in your room.