View Single Post
Old 2008-04-18, 05:01   Link #92
oompa loompa

when i first heard of higurashi, i did a bit of research, general summaries and peoples ratings. the show seemed to have tremendous appeal, and seemed like something so completely different. however, (i couldnt actually get down to watching the show because i suffer from severe anime addiction once i get into a show, and i had my finals going on at that time) when i heard that the second season had nothing of the gore or horror of the first season, i really began to wonder whether it would be worth it. i mean, wasnt the whole appeal of higurashi the gore and the shock? the first season satisfied all my expectations, particularly the first four episodes, i was ready for it, but it hit me like a hammer. the ending was cheesy, but the last scene was wonderful.
On to Kai. i thought my worst fears would come true and i would be extremely dissapointed.

now, after watching the whole of the second season, i can confidently say that higurashi is one of the best animes i have ever watched. the second season if anything, surpassed the first. the message that fate can be crushed was put out very strongly, especially in the last scene of the credits, while it might have seemed insignificant, rikas time travel (? this is what im assuming it to be, to change takanos past) just shows this exactly

as much as i hate to admit , it was one of the few shows that really really had me choking up, despite the severe lack of romance, and the fact that it was a happy ending. everything came together beautifully.

Adding to my appreciation of the show is the mystery itself ( how could i have forgotten that? ) the mystery itself was brilliant, how all the loose ends are tied up in such a logical manner, and most importantly the fact that most of the events determined by 'fate' were not supernatural, but rather by human device.

The only thing lacking is animation quality in a few places. All in all a wonderful wonderful show, im not sure what theyll put in the 3rd season, but bring it on.

9.5/10 , its been my privilige to watch this show

EDIT:

and as a question, for more experienced higurashi-ites does higurashi have rewatch value? i thought it was incredible, but since it is a mystery and all... anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2008-04-18 at 05:51.