View Single Post
Old 2013-03-06, 05:44   Link #165
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
What exactly do you mean by the right solution and the acceptable solution? I don't know what this means.
When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Sybil only wants to do one thing; adds to itself with new brains. It is the only acceptable "answer" to all its problems and flaws.

The real solution is the dumping of the Sybil system and restore checks and balances with a transparent government. But Sybil can't do that; it's priority is not a working system, but a system where it holds absolute power.

The right solution is the dismantling of Sybil. But Sybil will not do so. So someone else would have to do it.

My point is that too many in this thread takes it at face value that "once Sybil got Makishima's brain, everything would be fine". When there is no proof that it would make Sybil any better. All we have is Sybil's claims. And we know Sybil can't be trusted.

Quote:
Yes, and that's a better argument.
But saying that, they also said they're the only country with laws, which we don't really know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
THAT, we know, has to be complete rubbish. There are functional web server hosts overseas, which means other nations have modern working technology. No matter how you might have previously thought about the outside world, we know for sure it isn't Mad Max out there. We are given more and more signs that the boarder is designed not to protect the citizens, but to protect Sybil. That once the citizens know what the outside world is really like, Sybil will no longer have power over the population.

The whole point of oats is the Japan had managed to be self-sufficient in food. This allowed the country to be isolated. If they lose the crop, they would have to trade for food... Which means there IS food in the outside world to trade. Which means the outside world isn't as scary as Sybil likes to imply.