View Single Post
Old 2012-06-18, 23:53   Link #26
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Like Midonin, I enjoy many shows with little male presence. And on the surface I'm inclined to say that I prefer no male lead casts due to stuff like Madoka, Taisho Yakyuu Musume, and Hanasaku Iroha, then I remember that harem includes stuff like Bakemonogatari and Sola - and if you stretch the definition a bit, even stuff like Kure-nai and Haruhi. Overall I'd give "no male lead" an edge when harem is defined strictly and harem the edge when harem is defined loosely.

A few other points I'd like to make:
1) Despite the fact I embrace shows with little male presence like K-On! and Hidamari Sketch, I actually like it when they include some guys too, particularly for romance potential - Hanasaku Iroha comes to mind as it's a seinen whose major characters are female but it has male romantic interests too.
2) I'd tend to say my preferences in romance anime tend towards non-harem romances of both single and multi couple varieties. Examples include EF, Iriya no Sora UFO no Natsu, Otome Youkai Zakuro, Ano Natsu de Matteru, Inu x Boku SS, etc.
3) Frankly, both harem and no male lead shows have tropes that can aggravate and flops mixed in with the good stuff. Just because I like many shows from each category doesn't mean they I can't find fault in them.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote