Thread: Licensed Zettai Karen Children
View Single Post
Old 2008-04-20, 14:12   Link #119
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I keep wondering how a show about lolis with super powers can feel so boring and budgety. Episode 02 shows some promise that there is potential for an intriguing theme of power that is both a gift and a curse to the girls, but it felt kind of tacked on and thrown in their at random (most of it to do with Kaoru's flashback) then actually used. The rest of the episode seemed to be about Grrl Power and the only male espers I saw (I think I counted two) were there as foils to the grrl espers. Are the girl espers stronger? Why is it the male ones seem to be so inferior, or is there a reason beyond cheesy comedy? And most of all, where is this series heading in terms of drama versus comedy if anywhere?

I think I'm ready to give this show one more episode to see if it levels up the exposition and character relationship beyond the mundane and cliche before I just take my leave and find something else with a little more depth. The annoying thing is I see the potential for some good internal character conflict with the girls basically thrust into the position of being "treasures" and wishing for a normal life and friends that wouldn't get hurt near them, but I don't know if the production team has the guts, ability or plan to really see out such a sub-plot beyond a casual mention every now and then between all the Absolutely Lovely Children tinged scenarios. Just because it's the title of the series doesn't mean it has to embody it.

Anyway, really slow episode, even for a second episode. I feel I know less about the girls and their handler then I do about any cast of any series I've seen up to this point this season and nobody has managed to click with me yet in this show.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote