View Single Post
Old 2012-10-20, 01:28   Link #4737
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
Speaking of which, I am starting to see Godou's character as underdeveloped compared to Issei. Thirteen volumes into the series, I have yet to see Godou's goal in life. What sort of life does he want to live? What does he want to do after he gets out of school? Instead of saying I want to be normal, he should ask himself what do you wanna be as a normal person? It's hard to picture him becoming a normal salary-man who skips work just to fight gods. He doesn't even ask himself why should he be normal?Is there even a reason he should even be normal?Issei is a better character in comparison because he has already mapped out his future. He plans to become a king, but even after attaining his goal, he would not discard his innate human.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvein View Post
That's a good point actually. Even though we as the readers know his life is pretty much on a one-way street atm, Godou himself has no long-term goals. His dreams or ambitions are never discussed.

That is definitely something Issei has on him. Issei works his ass off because he has something in mind. Godou just deals with immediate problems that crop up out of a flaky sense of responsibility. He doesn't enjoy it(or at least claims he doesn't) and he clearly doesn't feel enough responsibility to actually prepare in advance for these situations. Its distinctly half-assed.

Got a feeling this attitude is definitely going to come to a head in the next few volumes.

EDIT: BTW way to go zzhk! You are a translating machine.
It's true that we haven't heard anything about Godou's goals or ambitions. To be fair, I think that's because of Godou quitting baseball. By all accounts Godou was very serious about baseball, I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to be a professional player one day. Not being able to play anymore must have been a shock.

We often talk about Godou being half-assed as a Campione, but that's not the only thing he half-asses. He does that with everything. He doesn't even seem to have any hobbies or interests that he does by himself. he doesn't socialize unless someone asks him to go somewhere. He reads occasionally, but he isn't a reader. He plays video games occasionally, but he's not a gamer. He fishes and joins pickup games, but only out of boredom. He just reacts to everything, and seems not to have any real interest or like for anything other than fighting. In a way, he's like Salvatore only with common sense.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote