View Single Post
Old 2008-02-29, 12:21   Link #57
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Japanese humor to me strikes me as not all that different from your example with Hamlet and Klingon. The concept of manzai and the tsukkomi and boke roles are completely foreign to the West. You rarely see comedic duos on Comedy Central, all comedians in America are basically solo acts.
Does no one remember Abbott&Costello? Gracie&Allen? Laurel&Hardy? Martin&Lewis? Comedy duos were the norm in America - in fact, they are barely distinguishable from the Tsukkomi and Boke roles (though they more often switched out who was who). Its only in recent years that stand-alone comedians seem to have swamped the field.

Quote:
If you're proficient enough in language and culture to tell what's missing all the time and despair about it, here a novel idea- why not watch raws?
Because I share my watching with people who are not-proficient in Japanese (e.g. my sansei wife) and we both think subtitles on *any* foreign material should strive to convey as much of the original meaning as possible. And for the same reason as its important to do so when translating, say, at a business or political meeting. Too much localization and you're just doing a redux on "What's Up, Tiger Lilly?".

I'm not saying there isn't an audience for that level of localization ... just that I and the people I watch with prefer little or no 'localization' in watching foreign films. One reason to watch foreign films is to get some shadowy grasp of different cultures, to get out of the easy comfort zone. Now pass those "donuts" and "sandwiches" they eat all the time on Pokemon .

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-02-29 at 14:38.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote